Open calls in doctoral studies, the first period
Admission applications for one Physics program project are open until March 15, 2023
Doctoral students admitted to these projects will have employment contracts with the junior researcher. The expected workload is 1.0, the expected work period is four years. The final workload will be set during the negotiations.
Admission conditions and evaluation criteria of the faculty
In the Faculty of Science and Technology, all candidates must submit a motivation letter and a CV in the Dreamapply together with the application. Candidates will be assessed on the basis of a motivation letter and an entrance interview. (except for the science education, where a draft for doctoral project must be submitted instead of a motivation letter). Candidates will apply for announced projects.
Please write a brief motivation letter (in English, maximum of 6000 characters with spaces) based on the following points:
1. Why are you interested in this PhD project, explain your choice.
2. What is your previous experience in this field? Explain how your educational and professional background relates to the project you are applying to.
3. What are the analytical/scientific methods you have practiced.
4. Describe briefly the methods and main results of your MSc thesis.
5. Decribe your earlier research activities, including research publications and conference presentations, if available.
Assessment criteria for motivation letter:
- motivation and argumentation of skills and the choice of the project
- relevant study and work experience and other relevant activities (publications, project management etc.) as required to present in the motivation letter.
The applicant must describe the wider scientific background of the doctoral project and possible applicability of the results, also their motivation to be admitted to PhD studies with particular project. The entrance interview conducted by the committee lasts up to 25 minutes. Only applicants whose motivation letter is assessed positively will be invited to the interview (minimum positive result is 35 points out of 50).
The entrance interview is used to assess the following:
- knowledge of the wider scientific background of the project and possible application of the expected results
- applicant’s motivation to pursue doctoral studies in the relevant field of science and to work in this field
- wider analytical and generalization skills regarding the research and study topics.
The entrance interview takes place most probably in June 2022.
International applicants who cannot be present at the interview in Tartu, may conduct an online interview. Applicants will be informed of their interview date and time by the respective faculty.
Both the motivation letter and entrance interview are assessed on a scale of 0 to 50 points, minimum positive score is at least 35 points. To be invited to an interview, the applicant must earn at least 35 points for the motivation letter.
Project for application:
Supervisors: Heikki Junninen, Sander Mirme
Admitted student will work as junior research fellow at the University. The workload is 1.0 and the time period is four years. Studies begin on 4 September 2023.
Super-saturated vapours in the atmosphere can form new liquid or solid particles under specific, suitable conditions. This process is termed new particle formation. The relations of the new particle formation to clouds and climate is investigated. The focus of investigations will be to study under well-controlled laboratory conditions the oxidation chemistry, aerosol nucleation and growth processes that are responsible for aerosol particle formation in cold regions of the atmosphere: a) Arctic environments, b) the upper troposphere above the Asian monsoon region, c) the upper troposphere above tropical rain forests, and d) the Southern Ocean. Experiments will be conducted in CERN CLOUD chamber.
Please see further information and link to the application form